Zachary M. Smith
- M.S. in Journalism, E.W.ScrippsSchool of Journalism at OhioUniversity. 2004 (GPA 3.70/4.0); Thesis: “Marijuana of the Nursery:” An Exploration of Censorship Efforts Against Comic Books. The thesis examined court cases concerning the content of comic books.
- B.A. in English, North Carolina State University, 1998-2002. Minors in Film Studies and Creative Writing, GPA 3.72/4.0 , Magna Cum Laude
- 1998: GraduateBroughtonHigh School, GPA 4.0 (weighted), National Honor Society
- Part-Time Staff Writer, The Independent Weekly, October 2006-present. I write at least one news or entertainment story per week, usually running from 300 to 800 words. Pieces include arts pieces and reviews, events at local universities, real estate issues, interviews and profiles.
- Freelance Contractor, Novelist, 2011-present – wrote bios of comic book creators for online library database.
- Guest Blogger for Pop Candy, pop-cultural blog for usatoday.com (2012): Wrote essays on popular culture and interviewed pop-cultural figures such as TurnerClassic Movies host Robert Osborne, writer/comic John Hodgman, TV critic Alan Sepinwall, toy creators the Four Horsemen, others.
- Freelance Contractor, NC State University, 2008-2010: Duties included writing alumni profiles, letters soliciting donations and news releases.
- Staff Writer, WingSwept Communications, July 2008-Present (contract position): Duties involve writing content and copy editing for the web site of a company focusing on IT solutions, web design work and government services. Also wrote brochures with Microsoft Publisher.
- Freelance Writer, Triangle Business Journal, 2004-2009. Duties include writing pieces on business practices and profiles of local CEOs. Most pieces run from 700 to 1,200 words, and are designed to make complicated business practices, such as fixed-rate mortgages or the Human Genome Project, accessible to mainstream audiences.
- Media Relations, IR Complete, October 2007-January 2008. Wrote and edited press releases, investor sheets, PowerPoint presentations, online content for business sites and blogs, and brochure and newsletter copy for various companies represented by an investor relations firm.
- Staff Writer, Lynchburg News & Advance, February 2005-August 2006. Covered Amherst, Appomattox and Campbell counties; wrote news and feature pieces on local government, crime, courts, schools and human interest using ACT software.
- Trained in copy editing with AP Style Manual
- Experienced doing research and critical/analytical writing
- Basic knowledge of HTML/Dreamweaver
- Trained in Microsoft Office 2007, including Word, Outlook, Excel and Access
- Experienced doing interviews/press releases on daily deadlines
- Certified in Adobe InDesign and doing streaming video with Adobe Premiere Elements
- Certified in writing grant proposals